Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Picnic in the Park: Inspiration

AAhh summer: Bike rides, beachin' it, bbq's, and, of course, picnics! I've always been a fan of stealing airline blankets for future picnic use and, well, 'tis the season! Below are some fun items that I've always enjoyed on a picnic and perhaps you will too! (From left to right, starting at the top)A Picnic in the Park






1) First of all, what's the point of loungin' in the sun if you have nothing to show for it afterwards! This MAUI BABE lotion is THE GREATEST! it can take you from "January Office Body" to "Bronzed Beauty" in a few short sun sessions. But remember, there's no sunscreen in it! So remember to load up on that first!!

2) one word: HAVAIANAS! I recently got to spend some time in Brazil and finally got what the big deal with these flop flops is. They may just be the most comfortable pair I've ever owned, and they come in every color as well as some awesome patters! Just Try on a pair and I bet you'll never buy another brand of flippy floppies ever again!

3) I dont understand why people limit board game adventures to the family living room. I say: BUST THAT SHIT OUT! and bring a game like scrabble or connect four along your next park outing. I was recently given this AWESOME travel scrabble game and it has served me well! The new game sets are waterproof and fold up ever so neatly so get one for yourself! and maybe one as a gift! You (and the gift recipient) won't be disappointed...

4) Plaid shirt: Picnic Chic... 'Nuff said.

5) A Crossword puzzle (this may not be for you, but I never leave the house without one... I encourage you to just give it a shot. I suggest a monday crossword for beginners, and I bet you'll be hooked in no time. Plus, studies show that exercising your brain every day with activities like crossword puzzles and other brain games can prevent mental deterioration. Here are a few words commonly found in crossword puzzles and their definition to get you started...
  • Aerie: High nest
  • Epee: Dueling sword
  • Nee: Formerly called, or precedes a maiden name
  • Poi: Polynesian food

6) Everything is better with music. Grab some portable speakers and create a soundtrack to your life! Here are a few tracks on MY soundtrack that really get my feet tappin'.
  • Got to Give it Up: Marvin Gaye
  • Steppin' Razor: Sublime
  • Down and Out in New York City: James Brown
  • Mais Que Nada: Sergio Mendes
  • He Got Game: Public Enemy
  • Hold Ya: Gyptian (the Billy Blue & Nicki Minaj as well as the Major Lazer remix are both great versions too!)
  • Beautiful: Damian Marley

7) Key necklace... nothin' special, just thought it went nicely with the outfit. I've got a necklace with keys that I've collected from some of my travels on it...I would, and probably have, worn it to the park.

8) Wayfarer sunglasses. Any so-cal resident will tell you these are a must. and now that EVERYONES knocking the ray-bans off, you can score a pair for $5 at places like Venice Beach and Swap Meets. Sweet Deal, sweeter look.

9) Jean shorts. Cause Daisy Duke aint the only gal who should be rockin these. Throw on a leather belt with bronze or antiqued looking buckle for a more polished look.

10) And last but CERTAINLY not least: The Quintessential Picnic Item: A WINE (and cheese) KIT! Trust me: once you've discovered collapsible plastic wine glasses you'll never go back to paper cups.. and c'mon.. face it...you're far too classy for a dixie cup!

***A little extra*** also, I recently stumbled across this ADORABLE modern take on a picnic basket. check it yo: MODERN PICNIC BOXES
Well, there you have it folks: A plethora of picnic paraphernalia! Hope this post gets you packing up for the park!
Enjoy!
-Sarah

Plaid blouse
$15 - delias.com

River Island black sunglasses
£5 - riverisland.com

Havaianas Mens Brasil Flip-Flops
$22 - piperlime.gap.com

No comments:

Post a Comment